Saturday, March 8, 2014

Do's and Don'ts When Baby has a Diaper Rash

Considering the discomforts your baby experiences when she has a diaper rash. Diaper rash is a common bothersome condition for babies, that can cause the skin sore, red, tender and scaly. This can be caused by infrequent change of wet or soiled diapers, antibiotics, chemical sensitivity or diarrhea.

During my baby's first year she had her diaper rash. It bothers me every time I see the red spots on her thighs. When my husband knew about it, I have this guilty feeling. It makes me think that I am an inattentive parent. But knowing almost all babies developed this type of condition every once in a while makes me cool down.
So I would like to share the simple ways to heal it if your baby has a mild diaper rash and how to avoid it.

Don'ts
  • Don't forget to check your baby's diaper every now and then. I usually changed my baby every 3-4 hours during her 1st year if she's not pooping. Check the wetness indicator. 
  • Don't use wet wipes or perfumed products. The chemical from the wet wipes can irritate your child's skin specially if she's chemical sensitive. 
  • Avoid to rub the area. 
  • Don't ignore your baby's condition. If the diaper rash is severe and takes long, consult your pediatrician. Mild diaper rash only takes 2-3 days. 
Do's 
  • Let your baby's ass go naked often. Give her butt's skin some time to breath. Give some air out and let it relax from hot, damped disposable diapers. Instead of always using disposable diapers use cloth diapers specially when she has diarrhea. You can't let her naked unless you're ready with rags in your hands to clean up her mess. 
  • Change her diaper often and clean the area with warm water with each diaper change. And make sure to pat dry with clean, soft towel.
  • Also consider to check the diaper brand you're using by their absorbency and fit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment