Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Natural Remedies for Cough

When baby has cough and nasal congestion it bothers me, specially during night time. The first time she experienced it, I immediately bought over-the-counter cough medicine. But it did not help us, I could still hear her breathing hardly at night. That's when I decided to try natural remedies that can be found at home.

Over-the-counter medicines have side effects and may not cure our child's sickness. Here are the natural remedies that will help them feel better, calm cough and clear breathing clogs.


  1. Calamansi Juice - Filipinos usually use calamansi than lemon. It is small, round, green citrus fruit that contains more vitamin C than lemon. Squeeze its juice with warm water and a few drops of honey or brown sugar, surely it'll be a perfect remedy for cough.  The warm steamy water will also help your child feeling better. 
  2. Oregano Juice - Oregano juice has been my mother's first choice as a home remedy for babies. You can either boil it with water to get the juice or use a mortar and pestle to extra its juices. Then add calamansi juice and a few drops of honey.  You can either give it two or three times daily. 
  3. Essential Oil - Essential oil can help cough and nasal congestion when applied as a chest rub. I usually use Vick's though medical claims it harmful.  But I've trusted it for years, I've grown up applying Vicks to my nose and chest when I have flu. It has a soothing effect that gives effective relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment